National Sock Day is celebrated in America on December 4th. The day is dedicated to things that keep our feet warm on chilly days! These are unique products that have collected many anecdotes during their existence. The most popular of them are saturated with jokes about their mysterious disappearances after washing. So, take apart the socks today and put them in pairs!
The history of socks began in Ancient Greece. It was an analogue of modern products, it looked like short boots, it was made of thin leather. At that time, only ladies wore them, while men bypassed them, since for them it was a different tone. The Romans adopted this idea, but the stronger sex no longer abandoned them, using them mainly for military shoes. In the 4th century they were worn by Catholic priests. Knitted socks appeared only in the 16th century in Spain.
During the First World War, the product was in short supply. There were not enough funds and opportunities for its manufacture, so the manufacturers tried to minimize their length as much as possible. So the short socks we are used to appeared. By the way, now you can find different types: stockings, sleds, one-piece, with finger pockets or completely open, sports, classic, homemade … Choose any!
Facts about socks that you did not know:
- in France, they say that coffee is poorly brewed with the expression “jus de chaussette”, which means “juice from socks”;
- people who are fond of deciphering dreams believe that socks dream of traveling;
- the shade of the products is matched to the color of the trousers, not the shoes;
- in the 10th century, socks were a symbol of luxury and high status;
- Albert Einstein hated socks – he simply refused to wear them! He explained by the fact that they are quickly rubbed;
- China produces about 40% of the world’s socks;
- more than half of teenagers go with different pairs due to constant losses.
How to celebrate
On National Day, go to the store and buy a pair of new socks! Refresh your wardrobe – this thing is never superfluous. Make a gift to a loved one, choose his favorite colors and shapes.
When is National Sock Day celebrated in 2022?
National Sock Day is observed on December 4 each year.