Yellow Pig Day is a holiday that is celebrated on July 17 for a reason, as it is dedicated to the number 17. It is a pretty crazy idea, proposed by two mathematicians. This was preceded by the global work that they did on the number 17, and everyone learned about it. In addition, scientists have suggested using a yellow pig as a symbol of the holiday. Thus, if you want to celebrate Yellow Pig Day, you need to think about the number 17 and a yellow pig.
The holiday appeared around the middle of the twentieth century thanks to two mathematicians – David Kelly and Michael Spivak. They devoted their lives to studying the properties of different numbers. It is not known why they were attracted to the number 17, but they chose a yellow pig with 17 eyelashes as its symbol. At first glance, the holiday may seem a little strange and confusing, until you know more about the number 17, and also get a funny yellow pig. Perhaps it will be a piggy bank or just a cute figurine.
- 17 appears 13 times in the Bible.
- The number 17 can be safely called a symbol of the French Revolution: 1789 – it occurs twice – 17, as well as 8 + 9 = 17.
- Tutankhamun’s mummy was wrapped in 17 sheets before being placed in his tomb.
- Do you think is it a coincidence that the pantheon has 17 columns?
- The Italians believe the number 17 brings bad luck.
- Remember how the Roman number 17 is written: XVII. An anagram of that is VIXI, which means – I lived.
- In medicine, the fear of the number 17 is called heptadecaphobia.
How to take part
Feel free to draw yellow pigs and look for places where the number 17 can be hidden. If you want to share the holiday on social media, use the #NationalYellowPigDay hashtag.
When is Yellow Pig Day Celebrated in 2023?
Yellow Pig Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 17th each year.