World Pharmacist Day is a holiday dedicated to all those who work in the pharmaceutical industry. According to statistics, about 4 million people in the world are somehow connected with this area. Pharmacists are specialists who help achieve global health outcomes. On this day, many thematic and educational events are held, their goal is to raise public awareness about pharmacists.
Pharmacy is an ancient science, most likely, it appeared when the juice of plants was first used for treatment. In addition, in Greek legends written centuries ago, there is a mention that the gods were excellent pharmacists. For example, Asclepius, the god of healing, entrusted the preparation of medicines to his personal pharmacist, Hygieia.
- For a long time it was believed that medicine and pharmacy are the same sciences, the final separation of the two sciences occurred in the 17th century, when doctors were unable to treat and prepare medicines on their own.
- Under the onslaught of World War II, the pharmaceutical market was constantly replenished with new medicines, which also contributed to the development of pharmaceuticals.
- Today, a pharmacist performs many tasks – finding and preparing medicines, replenishing stocks of medicines, as well as the raw materials necessary for their preparation. In addition, pharmacists track the expiration dates of drugs.
- World Pharmacist Day was established by the International Pharmaceutical Organization.
- The first pharmacy was opened in New Orleans and here, in addition to drugs, they sold opium.
How to celebrate
Thank all the pharmacists you know for their work – so important and useful. Tell in all convenient and accessible ways about the benefits and importance of pharmacists. If possible, buy medicines presented in local pharmacies, this will help the pharmacist to keep his job. Learn more about the work of a pharmacist – how the profession appeared, what a specialist does.
When is World Pharmacist Day in 2022?
World Pharmacist Day is observed on September 25 each year.