On Roast Chestnuts Day, it’s time for a delicious and fragrant snack that will make you fall in love with it from the first bite! When roasted, chestnuts break easily and reveal their flavor. Fans share that they resemble nuts, baked potatoes and even pumpkin seeds. What do you say?
It is known that chestnuts appeared in the southern part of the planet. Scientists conducted laborious research and found their pollen in Europe, which may occur during the Ice Age. In food, the fruit began to be used in Greece and Rome, and later spread throughout the planet. People were sophisticated: they cooked chestnuts on an open fire, served with wine, and simply took them with them on the road due to the fact that the products did not deteriorate. It is noteworthy that the method of cooking has not changed since then!
Chestnut has a beneficial effect on the human body: it contains vitamin C, protein, lipids, minerals. And it is also rich in complex carbohydrates, which provides a person with energy for the whole day. It is popular with both vegetarians and meat eaters. If you use it in food in doses, you can feel its amazing power, but make sure that you do not have allergic reactions to the product.
- How chestnuts are prepared in different cultures:
- the Japanese serve them with beer, rice or even chicken;
- in Tuscany you can enjoy a walnut pie;
- Corsica is famous for its fragrant honey from the product;
- in Belgium, on Valentine’s Day, ladies receive boxes of candied chestnuts;
- the Spaniards were addicted to canning fruits, filling them with chocolate;
- The French will treat you with chestnut soup.
How to celebrate
Get together with your friends on Roast Chestnuts Day and roast chestnuts! Have fun and listen to music. Look at unusual recipes and try to prepare a unique dish – share photos on social networks and talk about the holiday.
When is Roast Chestnuts Day celebrated in 2022?
Roast Chestnuts Day is observed on December 14 each year.