New Year’s Eve is a magical and most long-awaited holiday in the world! How much fuss and noise is around him: we buy gifts, decorate houses, serve festive tables, sing songs, have fun with our relatives. He has known him since childhood: traditions have settled in every family, which are sacredly observed.
Everyone is waiting for the holiday to come, but not everyone thinks why it is celebrated today. December 31 is the end of the year according to the Gregorian calendar, it is used in most countries of the world. The creator is Pope Gregory, who announced it on February 24, 1582. It is hard to imagine that this happened so long ago, but the calendar has become stronger on the planet, which has become the leading one. Previously, Europe lived according to the Julian calendar, introduced by the Roman emperor in 45 AD.
On January 1, a new life begins. That is why we try to finish important things in the outgoing year, entering the new one without burdens. Under the countdown, we freeze at the festive table and make wishes, dreaming that they will surely come true. There are sad notes in this, time flies so fast … But there is no need to get upset: relatives and friends are nearby, glasses are filled with champagne, bright lights are around, and the future promises many interesting events!
- more than 100 million people go on a journey to get to a place for the holiday;
- about 50% of Americans consider New Year’s Eve their favorite celebration, putting it above a birthday;
- the first New Year’s card appeared in London in 1843;
- 12% of people fall asleep without waiting for midnight fireworks;
- in Italy, they believe that you need to throw old things out of the house in order to attract new ones;
- The tallest Christmas tree in the world is installed in Rio de Janeiro – 76 meters!
How to celebrate
Everyone has their own ideas about this. Some gather in a noisy family circle – which, in fact, is considered traditional. Others travel to cities and countries, wanting to see the celebration from a different angle. One thing unites everyone: the hope for a happy coming year.
When is New Year’s Eve celebrated in 2022?
New Year’s Eve is observed on December 31 each year.