National Vichyssoise Day is celebrated on November 18 in America. We owe the dish to the French – they are real inventors in terms of cooking, so many delicious recipes are prepared all over the world! If you have never tried this soup, then it’s time to please your taste buds!
The name is sometimes very difficult to pronounce: it is not translated into other languages. However, do not worry, you will be understood if you order a dish in a restaurant. It is prepared in chicken broth, consisting of: potatoes, onions, cream. The ingredients are rubbed and create a thick creamy texture that melts in your mouth. The soup is served cold, so it is more often consumed in the warm season.
The origin of Vichyssoise is not known for certain. Sources say that the king of France did not have time to eat the hot soup and asked the servants to try the cooled version. Another version was born in 1917: a certain Louis Dia from the town of Vichy adapted the sweat soup to the needs of his grandmother. The information was published in the New Yorker.
It is noteworthy that:
- a hot version of the soup and its recipe published in a cookbook in 1869;
- for those who don’t like onions or potatoes, there is cauliflower soup;
- the dish has a huge amount of protein, calcium and fiber – this is good for the body;
- Anthony Bourdain – American chef put the soup on the first lines to his liking, more than once adding the recipe to his own cookbooks;
- after cooking, the dish cools down and is placed in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap;
- such food is very satisfying and nutritious.
How to celebrate
Host a family dinner and try making your own soup. In fact, there is nothing complicated in it – arm yourself with a step-by-step recipe and create in the kitchen. Head to the nearest cafe and try the original recipe. Tell others about National Vichyssoise Day.
When is National Vichyssoise Day celebrated in 2022?
National Vichyssoise Day is observed on November 18 each year.