National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day is a day dedicated to promoting the importance of regular veterinary check-ups for cats. While cats may not enjoy visiting the vet, it is crucial for their health and longevity.
It is uncertain who originated the idea to celebrate National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day on August 22, but it is likely the initiative came from the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). In the United States, about one in three households own cats, and many people love their pets. However, according to the American Society for the Protection of Animals, cats are shown to the veterinarian less often than dogs, and often not until signs of illness are noticeable. A study by pet food company Royal Canin found that 21% of cat owners take their cat to the vet, and 53% of owners who haven’t taken their cat to the vet in the past 12 months said they simply “didn’t feel it was necessary.” In order to raise awareness of the need for cat health screenings, Royal Canin has led the celebration of this National Day on several occasions, involving Hollywood actor and activist Ian Somerhalder and his cat Moke.
- Not all feline diseases have obvious symptoms. Cancer or FIV may be asymptomatic for a long time.
- Cats cannot communicate that they are unwell. They may scream in acute pain, but may not “confess” if they are constantly feeling unwell.
- Cats age faster than humans. At the age of 10, a person is still considered young and healthy, but a cat is considered no longer young and may suffer from certain diseases.
- The more often you visit the veterinarian, the easier it will be for cats to tolerate the stress. They will get used to it.
- Prevention is easier and cheaper than treating a disease not noticed in time.
How to take part
Visit the veterinary clinic with your furry friend. Remind your friends on social networks to visit the doctor with their animals too. By doing this, you are promoting the importance of regular veterinary check-ups for cats, and helping to keep them healthy and prolong their lives.
When is National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day celebrated in 2024?
National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day is observed on August 22 each year.