National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day can hardly be considered a holiday for cats, because in most cases, cats do not like to visit veterinary clinics. But owners of furry pets should know that this is really a festive day, because a visit to the veterinarian will help keep the animal healthy and prolong its life!
It is difficult to say who came up with the idea to celebrate National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day on August 22. Probably the initiative belonged to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). In the United States, about one in three households have cats. And people really love their pets.
But, according to the American Society for the Protection of Animals, cats are shown to the veterinarian much less often than dogs, and already when signs of illness are noticeable. A study by pet food company Royal Canin found that 21% of cat owners do so! And 53% of owners who haven’t taken their cat to the vet in the past 12 months said they simply “didn’t feel it was necessary.”
Royal Canin has led the celebration of this National Day on several occasions to raise awareness of the need for cat health screenings. The campaign involved Hollywood actor and activist Ian Somerhalder and his cat Moke.
Let this information help you realize the importance of this National Day:
- Not all feline diseases have obvious symptoms. Cancer or FIV may be asymptomatic for a long time.
- Cats cannot communicate that they are unwell. They scream in acute pain, but do not “confess” if they constantly feel not too much pain.
- Cats age faster than humans. At the age of 10, a person is a child full of life and health, and a cat is no longer young and may suffer from certain diseases.
- The more often you visit the veterinarian, the easier cats tolerate this stress. They get used.
- Prevention is easier and cheaper than treating a disease not noticed in time.
How to celebrate
Visit the veterinary clinic with your furry friend. Remind your friends on social networks to visit the doctor with their animals too.
When is National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day celebrated in 2022?
National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day is observed on August 22 each year.