National Pizza Month is the best time to treat yourself to juicy, crispy, delicious pizza. Are there people who do not like the traditional Italian dish? We are sure not. Throughout October, there are various events dedicated to pizza – take part in them too!
In 1984, the United States celebrated this holiday for the first time. The initiator was Gerry Durnell. He created the Pizza Today newspaper and declared October as National Pizza Month. Residents immediately picked up the idea and sought to spend these days, starting from the main theme: some learned how to cook treats, others studied historical data, others got jobs in restaurants …
It is believed that the development of the dish began in Naples. There, flat cakes were cooked and smeared with tomato sauce, sold in special stalls until the 1830s. A more similar version arose in the 19th century. Now there are a huge number of types of pizzas – sometimes it combines ingredients that are absolutely not suitable for each other in ordinary dishes.
Some curious things:
- the original pizza was square, and only then took on a rounded shape;
- The most expensive pizza in the world is Louis 8 Pizza in Salerno, the price is $12. But even for such a record price, the dish has admirers;
- once a custom-made pizza cost $70. The record was set by blogger Mr. Beast puzzled the chef with his request. Gold leaf, truffle, 000-year-old parmesan bechamel, Japanese beef, albino caviar, etc. were added to the dish;
- in 2001, a Russian organization delivered a pizza to the International Space Station. Yuri Usachev is the first cosmonaut to receive such an honor;
- in 2006, a world record was set – Cristian Dumitru ate 90 kg of pizza in 7 days.
How to celebrate
Take a break from everyday days, go to the kitchen and create pizza according to the signature recipe! Find out about the process on the Internet or from familiar chefs. Invite your friends and compete – whose creation will turn out tastier? Experiment, add new ingredients, share photos on social networks.
When is National Pizza Month in 2022?
National Pizza Month is observed on October 1 each year.