French fries, perhaps without exaggeration, can be called one of the most popular dishes in many countries of the world. It is not surprising that a holiday was dedicated to this treat. Fragrant golden potato slices have conquered millions of people, but do you know the true facts about them? Many people think the fries are an invention of French culinary specialists. In fact, the Belgians started cooking potatoes this way.
The history of French fries dates back several centuries. Today, every hostess and every restaurant has its own recipe. Culinary experts say two identical recipes do not exist. However, many people have a prejudice regarding this treat, because French fries are very high in calories and contain a lot of fat.
- According to statistics, each American eats approximately 30 pounds of French fries every year.
- The term ‘French fries’ refers to potatoes that are deep fried in sticks or slices.
- This dish first appeared around the 1700s, although potatoes were first brought to Europe in 1600.
- There is an interesting legend about French fries. The Belgians claim in one of the manuscripts of Joseph Gerard there is a mention of the inhabitants of the Meuse valley, who fished in warm weather, and in winter, when the river froze, they cut potatoes into slices like fish fillets and fried them in fat.
- The merit of the French in the popularization of French fries is also there. Thanks to them, street cart ’frites’ appeared on sale, where they sold delicious potatoes.
- French fries also made their way to America in an unusual way. America’s Ambassador to France, Thomas Jefferson, upon returning to his homeland, diversified the menu of the White House with this unusual dish in 1802.
How to take part
National French Fries Day is the time to join the multi-million-dollar army of French fry fans. Be sure to think over your favorite sauces, seasonings, and drinks, and invite friends. If you’re looking to stay in shape, go bowling, ride a bike, or take an aerobics class after your party.
When is National French Fries Day Celebrated in 2023?
National French Fries Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 13th each year.