The origins of National Grand Marnier Day are currently unknown, but Google recognizes this holiday as an official holiday! Grand Marnier is an orange-flavored brandy liqueur that was created by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle in 1880. This alcoholic beverage is a blend of Cognac brandy, distilled essence of bitter orange, and sugar. Grand Marnier is 40% alcohol (70 Proof in UK, 80 Proof in US). There are five different varieties of Grand Marnier: Cordon Rouge, Cordon Jaune, Cuvée du Centenaire, Cuvée Spéciale Cent Cinquantenaire, and Cuvée Louis-Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle.
After learning the history of the luxurious Grand Marnier liqueur, you will definitely want to try it. Its history starts in 1827, when Jean-Baptiste Lapostolle opened a distillery in the suburbs of Paris. He carefully studied the distillation process, visiting the French region of Cognac. From this trip, Lapostolle brought some cognac to store in his cellars. In 1876, the winemaker’s granddaughter Julia and her husband, Louis-Alexandre Marnier, produced a branded alcoholic drink from a bitter orange imported from the Caribbean. In the second half of the twentieth, orange liqueur became incredibly popular in the United States.
National Grand Marnier Day Fun Facts
- A bottle of Grand Marnier is sold every two second around the world!
- Grand Marnier has been the most widely exported French liqueur for over 25 years.
- Descendents of the Grand Marnier’s founder Louis-Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle still own the brand.
- Icelanders consume an average of over 4 glasses of Grand Marnier per person every year!
- The Titanic is said to have stocked Grand Marnier among its carefully chosen spirits. In fact, a bottle of Grand Marnier has been found in the ship’s wreckage.
National Grand Marnier Day Jokes
- A nun entered a liquor store and asked the clerk to buy some Grand Marnier. «I’m sorry, Sister», the clerk replied, «I won’t be able to do that. I’ve never sold alcohol to a nun». The nun explained, «It’s for the Mother Superior. She’s constipated and Grand Marnier seems to help». The clerk agreed to sell her the Grand Marnier, and the nun walked out. After closing time, the clerk closed the store and found the nun sitting out on the curb, totally inebriated, singing, and laughing to herself. «Sister, shame on you!» he scolded, «You told me the brandy was for the Mother Superior’s constipation.» The nun replied, «It is, sir. It is», replied the nun, slurring her words. «She is constipated, and when she sees me, she’s going to crap herself».
- A man walks into a bar, ordered some Grand Marnier, and says, «I just got back from the battered woman’s shelter, and boy are my arms tired!». Everyone laughed. The man sat at the end of the bar drinking alone. He was proud of the fine craftsmanship of the shelves he put up in the shelter’s pantry, regardless of what others may think.
- Anti Joke: A man walks into a bar, purchases 5 bottles of Grand Marnier, and slowly alcoholism tears his family apart.
- A man had Grand Marnier and water and got drunk. The next day, the man had a martini and water and got drunk. The following day, the man had a piña colada and water and still got drunk. The man woke up the next day with a hangover and exclaimed, «I’ve learned my lesson. No more water for me!».
- How does a man show he’s planning for the future?
- He buys two bottles of Grand Marnier instead of one.
National Grand Marnier Day Quotes
- «An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men». Charles Darwin
- «Call things by their right names – Glass of brandy and water! That is the current, but not the appropriate name; ask for a glass of liquid fire and distilled damnation». Robert Hall
- «Prohibition is better than no liquor at all». Will Rogers
- «We all drew on the comfort which is given out by the major works of Mozart, which is as real and material as the warmth given up by a glass of brandy». Rebecca West
- «Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker». Ogden Nash
National Grand Marnier Day Destinations
- Go to the liquor store, and buy a bottle of Grand Marnier or two!
- Visit a bar, and ask the bartender to make you a Grand Marnier mixed drink, like a Grand Marnier Smash, Grand Smash, Smash Marnier, Bloody Smash, Maced Marnier, Ace Marnier Smash, or Grand Marnier Fireball!
- Spend the night out on the town, and go to a club! Many clubs serve Grand Marnier in their bars!
- Take a vacation to Neauphle-le-Château, France, and visit the Grand Marnier distillery!
- Stay home, and read about National Grand Marnier Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
This holiday has also been called: Grand Marnier Day and International Grand Marnier Day!
July 14th is also Bastille Day, National Nude Day, and Pandemonium Day!
National Grand Marnier Day is celebrated in July which is: National Anti-Boredom Month, National Blueberry Month, National Cellphone Courtesy Month, National Grilling Month, National Hot Dog Month, National Ice Cream Month, and National Vacation Rental Month!
When is National Grand Marnier Day Celebrated in 2023?
National Grand Marnier Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 14th each year.