Global Hug Your Kid Day is celebrated on the third Monday in July. Of course, you should not wait for this day to hug your child, because children need care and attention every day. The holiday shows how important parental hugs are for children of any age. Hug your child, show how much you love them. Hugs help everyone – who hugs and who gets hugged. This is an excellent remedy for blues, despondency, and bad moods.
The holiday was founded by Michelle Nichols. In 2008, it was 10 years since her eight-year-old son died from a serious illness. Michelle celebrated this day every year not just in memory of her boy, but she wanted to tell parents how important it is to show their children their love and devotion. Psychologists note that hugs appeared at the same time as people. This is the easiest and most understandable way to demonstrate your affection, sympathy, and attention. One hug can convey a wide range of emotions – support, thanks, or sympathy. With this gesture, parents and children bond and become closer to each other.
- The verb ‘to hug’ has Scandinavian roots and, in translation, means to comfort.
- In the 17th century, ‘hugging’ was a special wrestling technique.
- Psychologists note hugs are good for one’s health, because the amount of the happiness hormone, oxytocin, increases in the body. It regulates blood pressure, normalizes the pulse, and also suppresses the synthesis of another hormone, cortisol, which increases susceptibility to stress.
- Hugs reduce anxiety, cheers people up, and bring them together.
- Scientists confirm the ability to sympathize directly depends on the number of hugs. Hug your children and they will learn empathy and compassion.
- If the child is prone to anxiety, hug them; this normalizes breathing, calms them, and increases the oxygen levels in the body.
How to take part
Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to hug your kids, no matter their age. Even if the child resists, they need it and will be pleased. Start the morning with hugs and a delicious breakfast. Read the book Hug Your Kids Today by Michelle Nichols for many wise, helpful thoughts and advice on parenting. On this day, hug everybody.
When is Global Hug Your Kid Day celebrated in 2023?
Global Hug Your Kid Day is observed on the third Monday in July each year.