National Letter Writing Day is celebrated on December 7 every year. An amazing holiday gives people the opportunity to remember the process of writing letters by hand … Now we are surrounded by computers and mobile phones, where sending a message is not difficult. But are these messages filled with soul?
What wonderful times there were before: we eagerly looked into the mailbox, dreaming of seeing news from a loved one. Ladies got acquainted with men, sprinkled paper with the best perfumes and read declarations of love with trepidation. Why not revive the tradition? Getting nostalgic is easier than you think – just join the movement on National Day!
The date was invented by photographer Richard Simpkin from Australia. He sent letters to all those whom he considered legends, and waited with terrible excitement for an answer. They answered him – and this is the most pleasant thing in this story! The guy is also famous for a large collection of pictures with the stars – he was photographed with celebrities from the age of 15, initially waiting for them near the dressing rooms. So he started his own photography project.
Did you know that:
- in Japan, letters still mean a lot, they have their own holiday, which is dedicated to them;
- in 19th century Britain, the value of a letter depended on its weight;
- correspondence has forever become a reliable source of events for historians and researchers;
- The letter written by Columbus to the Queen of Spain has the largest circulation. In it he talked about his travels;
- the Pope receives the most letters, followed traditionally by Santa Claus;
- a museum dedicated to manuscripts is located in France;
- Initially, envelopes were invented so that random people would not read what was written.
How to celebrate
Send a letter to a friend, relative, loved one! Buy nice paper and a brand new pen – write whatever you think about. Try to convey your emotions through words. Buy a wax sealer and surprise everyone around you!
When is National Letter Writing Day celebrated in 2022?
National Letter Writing Day is observed on December 7 each year.