National Apple Betty Day is dedicated to the most delicious American dessert made from fruits and sweetened crackers. Nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon sauce and whipped cream are also added here. Having tried it once, you will definitely not forget the wonderful taste of autumn delicacy!
Betty is prepared not only from apples, pears and other berries are also used. The exact origin of the dessert could not be established, but there is some information. Some argue that its predecessor is bread pudding, the perfect example of home baking when there is no way to work with dough. The name comes from the creator – African-American Betty Brown. “Brown Betty” reflected the color of the girl’s skin.
In 1864, the dessert was first published. It was published in Yale Literary Magazine, and since then people have been so fond of it that it decorated the table not only on holidays, but also on weekdays. Popularity was added by a simple recipe and a minimum of ingredients – anyone could cook. In 1890, the recipe won the American Public Health Association’s Lomb Prize for practicality and economy!
- Apple Betty is the favorite dessert of Ronald Wilson Reagan (40th President of America);
- The apple tree is one of the oldest crops on the planet. Archaeologists claim that fruit trees were cultivated as early as the 7th century BC;
- the largest fruit was grown by a Japanese in Hirosaki in 2005. Its weight was 1,849 kg;
- apples lower blood cholesterol levels and strengthen the walls of blood vessels;
- George Washington (first US president) relieved stress by pruning apple trees in his garden;
- apples are ideal for people with diabetes. Fruits contain fructose, which reduces the need for sweets;
- Apple seeds contain potassium cyanide, a deadly poison. Its quantity is negligible to harm a person.
How to celebrate
Did you cook Betty yourself? Do it on National Day and get your family involved in the process. There are a lot of cooking recipes, choose the most interesting of them. You can go to a restaurant that serves this recipe or order home delivery.
When is National Apple Betty Day in 2022?
National Apple Betty Day is observed on October 5 each year.