- This event has passed.
Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day
Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day is celebrated every year on July 31 and is a great opportunity to get to know unusual musical instruments. The day reminds that there are a huge number of original instruments in the world that you can try to hear their sound.
Music is an integral part of society and its culture. For example, the statues of ancient Cyprus are depicted with lyres, and the lyre is also present on the statue presented in the British Museum – the appearance of a woman indicates that she is from high society. In the culture of the ancient Cypriots, rattles were used, with their help they entertained people, drove away evil spirits.
The ancient Romans did not look for easy ways; a complex musical instrument, the hydraulis, appeared in their culture. It made sounds as the water created pressure and forced air into the system of pipes and keys. It was impossible to play it alone. And the Ancient Greeks accompanied with music any important event – birthday, wedding, funeral, work, illness. They used woodwind and bone instruments. In Asia they loved to play the trumpets, and in Egypt – the harp. Already in the 12th century, there were many musical instruments in the world, including the guitar.
- The guitar-like instrument was called the citole, and is in fact the forerunner of the violin.
- The first electric tools appeared in the 19th century.
- The shofar is a Jewish instrument made from a ram’s horn and is used during Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
- The didgeridoo is a wind instrument invented by the natives of Northern Australia. Studies prove that its sound improves health.
- Djembe is one of the rarest and most unusual African drums.
How to celebrate
Learn more about unusual tools, believe me, there are a huge number of them in the world. If you know how and love to play instruments, visit a music store and pick up something interesting for yourself. Sign up for playing lessons at a music school. Listen to recordings with unusual instruments – such music is incredibly atmospheric and colorful.
When is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day celebrated in 2022?
Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day is observed on July 31 each year.