- This event has passed.
National Talk in an Elevator Day
July 29, 2022
National Talk in an Elevator Day is celebrated on the last Friday of July. In 2022, this day falls on July 30th. Why did this holiday appear on the calendar? It turns out the elevator is an ancient device that has existed since 200 BC. A worthy reason to, rising or falling in the elevator, start a conversation with a fellow traveler.
Elevators appeared in our lives thanks to Archimedes, a Greek mathematician who gave the world many useful inventions. The first device used pulleys, and they were controlled by people or animals. 800 years later, the Book of Secrets by Ibn Khalaf al-Muradi appeared, where an elevator for lifting animals was described. The first modern elevator appeared in the 19th century when the Otis Elevator company was founded.
- Before the founding of Otis Elevator, people refused to use the elevator as they thought it dangerous, because periodically the cables that raised and lowered the cabin broke off.
- Otis Elevator eliminated the problem of broken cables when they introduced spring technology.
- It was Otis Elevator that received the contracts to install an elevator in the Rockefeller building.
- According to statistics, every year 26 people die in elevators, and 26 people die in car accidents every hour – draw your own conclusions about that.
- Initially, music was played in the elevators, as it calmed the passengers.
How to take part
Talk to passengers in an elevator; psychologists say that this is a great way to make new friends. Tell people about a funny holiday. If you find it difficult to start a conversation, first just smile. Read the history of the elevator, as well as other inventions of Archimedes.
When is National Talk in an Elevator Day Celebrated in 2022?
National Talk in an Elevator Day is observed on the last Friday in July each year.