Election Day is celebrated every year on the Tuesday that follows the first Monday in November. In 2022, this day falls on November 8th. On this day, elections of different significance and level are held in America, including presidential elections every four years, and the composition of the US House of Representatives and the Senate chosen every two years, as well as elections at the state level and local governments.
Elections are what distinguishes a democratic society from dictatorships. Through elections, society can control the work of authorities and leaders, and, in case of unacceptable decisions, change power without a revolution. Election Day was founded to express appreciation for the right to choose and express one’s vote.
Previously, there was a federal law in the United States, according to which presidential elections were held according to this scheme. For 34 days, the states selected and sent electors to form the Electoral College. In practice, this turned out to be ineffective and was reflected in the election results, because the states that had already voted could influence the choice of other regions. Therefore, a single election date was set for the whole country.
- The first Tuesday of November was chosen as Election Day in 1845, as the entire crop had already been harvested, and on Tuesdays, people did not rush to church or to the market to sell their products.
- The first election, in accordance with the established date, took place on November 7, 1848, when Zachary Taylor, the candidate of the Whig party, won. When Taylor died, Millard Fillmore took over as president.
- The youngest president in US history is John F. Kennedy, who took office at the age of 43.
- In 1872, a woman ran for the first time for the presidency, Victoria Woodhull put forward her candidacy.
- The principle of secret ballot was introduced in 1890.
How to join Election Day
First of all, demonstrate your civic position – go to the polls. To change the situation in the country, the only thing that a conscientious citizen can do is a simple vote. Post on social media and encourage others to join the vote. Become a volunteer and help organize and conduct elections – people are always needed at such large-scale events. On the eve of the election, inform your neighbors and friends that you are organizing transport that will take them to the polling station.
When is Election Day celebrated in 2023?
Election Day is observed on the first Tuesday of November each year.