Day of the Dead is a traditional Mexican holiday also called Dia de los Muertos. The event is celebrated every year on November 2nd. According to one of the legends, on this day the souls of the dead return to earth to visit their loved ones who are still alive. Many people go to the cemetery on this day, bring the dead their favorite foods and drinks, put photos.
Rituals in Mexico related to death and ancestors have been and continue to be practiced for 3 years. Day of the Dead was originally celebrated on the ninth month of the Aztec calendar and was celebrated throughout the month. Already in the 20th century, the duration of the celebrations was reduced to three days – Halloween on October 31, then the Day of the Innocents and then the Day of the Dead.
The most popular heroine of the holiday is La Katrina – a female skeleton, always with bright makeup and a big hat with feathers. This Lady of Death protected the dead, she was worshiped by the Aztecs.
- The character of La Catrina was created at the beginning of the 20th century by cartoonist José Guadalupe Posada.
- Diego Rivera – the husband of Frida Kahlo – depicted Lady Death on one of his frescoes “Sunday Dreams in Alameda Park”, dedicated to the history of Mexico.
- Mexicans make plans for Day of the Dead throughout the year.
- Traditionally, gifts are prepared for the dead, toys for children, and alcohol for adults.
- The graves of loved ones are decorated with flowers, usually marigolds, it is believed that they attract the souls of the dead.
How to celebrate
Be sure to take the time to remember on this day loved ones who have died. To do this, select a small corner in the house, for example, a table, put a candle on it, a photo of a loved one, flowers. Go to the cemetery, on this day it is filled with special sounds, aromas, symbols, images. Day of the Dead can be organized at home – invite guests with a photo of their deceased relatives. Put all the photos on the table, prepare a treat. Remember, the event should be positive, cheerful, so that the dead do not see your tears, they get upset from this.
When is Day of the Dead celebrated in 2022?
Day of the Dead is observed on November 2 each year.