Many parents go through empty nest syndrome when their children grow up and go out of their own, but Crowded Nest Awareness Day is about families facing the opposite problem. Some nests become empty only for a while, and then the children return home with their grandchildren. On the one hand, this is wonderful – the family is together, but on the other hand, when three or even more generations live in the same house, disputes, conflicts, and misunderstandings are inevitable. Crowded Nest Awareness Day is a great opportunity to solve this problem and find a comfort zone and some silence for yourself.
The holiday was founded in 2005 and is believed to have been inspired by the book Crowded Nest Syndrome: Surviving the Return of Adult Children. A few years later, the holiday spread throughout the world. During the recession, many adult children with grandchildren returned to their parents. After that, the parents, accustomed to the silence and a measured rhythm of life, who discovered the joy of traveling and new hobbies, faced a feeling of being cramped in their own home, and a lack of space.
- Crowded Nest Awareness Day is relevant to everyone who waits in line to visit the bathroom, gets in the car on Monday and realizes the gas tank is empty, and fills the refrigerator with food, only to find it empty again a day later.
- If you are forced to live in a crowded nest, follow the rules; the main thing is to try to make life comfortable for all the inhabitants of the house.
- Take care of yourself, otherwise you will not get ahead – in the bathroom, in the kitchen, at the TV, computer.
- Prepare a schedule for using household appliances, and how the utility bills will be divided.
- Be sure to take the time to be alone.
How to take part
If you find yourself in a crowded nest, talk to your loved ones, and discuss how you can make life easier for everyone under the same roof. Believe me, there are many examples of two, three, or even four generations living amicably in one house. Take an interest in the opinion of your relatives – are they comfortable, what does not suit them, what would you like to change?
If you know someone who lives in a crowded nest, give them a theater or movie ticket, so that they can relax alone for a while.
When is Crowded Nest Awareness Day celebrated in 2023?
Crowded Nest Awareness Day is observed on June 12 each year.