World Freedom Day is a holiday dedicated to one of the most significant and important events in history – the fall of the Berlin Wall. The event took place on November 9, since then this day has been associated with freedom, democracy and the fall of the communist regime in Eastern Europe.
The fall of the Berlin family became a symbol of the fall of not just a concrete structure, but the fall of communism in Eastern, Central Europe. After this event, people living in two divided parts of the country received freedom. In 2001, George W. Bush declared this date a federal holiday.
When the Second World War ended, Germany was divided into two parts – the West, it was controlled by the Americans, the British, the French, and the East – it was occupied by the Soviet Union. The wall was erected to prevent the migration of the population between the two parts. About 100 people died trying to overcome the wall. Only in 1989, the restrictions were eased, inspired people climbed the wall and began to manually break it, as a result, on November 9, 1989, it collapsed.
- Obviously, the Berlin Wall was not built in a day, it was built within 15 years after the Cold War.
- The Berlin Wall is an imposing structure that consists of two walls, a “death strip” between them, trenches, searchlights, watchtowers.
- It is not surprising that it was not easy to overcome such an obstacle, there were deaths, there are about 100 of them.
- However, those who successfully overcame the wall are much more – about 5 thousand.
- Remains of the Berlin Wall have spread around the world, several pieces are stored in the men’s room of one of the casinos in Las Vegas – “Main Street Station”.
How to celebrate
Take part in rallies held by numerous public organizations in honor of the victory of democracy and freedom over communism. Surely, such events are also planned near you. Carefully study history, read about the personalities who played an important role in the fall of communism, for example, Ronald Reagan. Since we are talking about freedom, it is important to know about your rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and other legislative acts.
When is World Freedom Day celebrated in 2022?
World Freedom Day is observed on November 9 each year.