United Nations Day is celebrated on October 24 every year to commemorate the anniversary of the UN Charter, which was adopted in 1945. It is an important day for all those who care about the rights and freedom of people across the world.
The UN was formed following the end of the Second World War in order to prevent future wars and protect different segments of the population. The Charter was adopted on April 25 and entered into force on October 24, 1945. The mission of the organization was challenged during the Cold War between the US and the USSR, but following the end of the war, the number of participants in the organization increased significantly. Despite all the obstacles, the UN has managed to survive and continue to work for the benefit of the global population.
In honor of UN Day, a concert was held in a hybrid format with a very small audience due to the pandemic. The Goyang Philharmonic Orchestra, pianists Yungwook Yoo and K-POP groups, and violinists Angela and Jennifer Chun were among the performers.
- The first session of the General Assembly was held in the Palace of Westminster in London.
- Prior to the UN, there was a similar organization known as the League of Nations.
- Throughout its history, the post of Secretary-General has been held by nine people.
- The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons of 1968 is one of the most important documents in the history of the UN.
- The organization holds the record for the most Nobel Prizes awarded.
- In 2011, the UN adopted a resolution recognizing the rights of the LGBT community.
How to take part
There are several ways to participate in the celebration of UN Day. You can help the UN in its difficult cases by contacting the institutions that are part of the organization, volunteering, participating in charity, and raising public awareness of urgent problems. You can also take the opportunity to visit the headquarters in New York and learn more about the achievements of the UN. Lastly, you can share information about the organization on social media so that more people are aware of the work of the UN.
When is United Nations Day celebrated in 2023?
United Nations Day is observed on October 24 each year.