Red Wine Day is celebrated annually on August 28th by all connoisseurs of this delicious and noble grape drink. Studies have shown that drinking red wine in moderation can have positive health benefits such as protecting the body from cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and even reducing anxiety. It is rich in antioxidants that reduce the risk of these diseases by 25-40%!
Red Wine Day has been celebrated since 2014. The idea was created by Jace Shoemaker-Galloway, a connoisseur of this drink.
Learn more about red wine this holiday:
- Its rich dark ruby color is due to the peel and the plant pigment anthocyanin contained in it. White wine can be made from dark grape varieties if the skin is removed from the berries.
- When drinking red wine, you can smell the aroma of cherries and other berries, various herbs or jams. This is the result of fermentation of grapes and aging of wine in oak barrels, with no flavor additives.
- White wine is actually younger than red. White wine varieties are made from green and yellow grape varieties, which are the result of a DNA mutation that occurred in red grapes. Pinot Noir and Pinot Blanc share the same DNA!
- The best grape variety for winemaking is Vitis vinifera, which is originally from Eastern Europe. Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and other famous brands are made exclusively from it, while other varieties (there are about 70 of them) are rarely used in winemaking.
- Red wine “fades” with age. The oldest known wines have a less intense color, and are actually translucent. The oldest wine made from grapes harvested in 1775 is of Spanish origin and is called Jerez de la Frontera. There are only 5 bottles of this “artifact” left in the world and it has a translucent appearance.
How to take part
Celebrating Red Wine Day is a great way to enjoy a glass of red wine! Invite family members or friends to a wine party, buy a few varieties, and host a sommelier competition. Who will be able to guess the wine by taste and bouquet?
When is Red Wine Day celebrated in 2023?
Red Wine Day is observed on August 28 each year.