Red Wine Day is celebrated annually on August 28 by all connoisseurs of this delicious and noble grape drink. Studies have proven its health benefits. Drinking red wine in moderation means protecting your body from cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes (as well as unnecessary anxiety and anxiety, it is wonderfully relaxing). It is rich in antioxidants that reduce the risk of these diseases by 25-40%!
Red Wine Day has been celebrated since 2014. The idea belongs to Jace Shoemaker-Galloway, a connoisseur of this drink.
Learn more about red wine this holiday:
- Its rich dark ruby color appears due to the peel and the plant pigment anthocyanin contained in it. White wine can be obtained from dark grape varieties if the skin is removed from the berries.
- When we drink red wine, we can smell the aroma of cherries and other berries, various herbs or jams. This is the result of fermentation of grapes and aging of wine in oak barrels. There are no flavor additives in the original product.
- White wine is “younger” than red. White wine varieties are made from green and yellow grape varieties. But these varieties are the result of a DNA mutation that occurred in red grapes. Pinot Noir and Pinot Blanc share the same DNA!
- The best grape variety for winemaking is Vitis vinifera. This is not a French variety, its homeland is Eastern Europe. Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and other famous brands are made exclusively from it. Other varieties (there are about 70 of them) are rarely used in winemaking.
- Red wine “fades” with age. The oldest known wines have a less intense color, they are actually translucent. The oldest wine made from grapes harvested in 1775 is of Spanish origin and is called Jerez de la Frontera. There are only 5 bottles of this “artifact” left in the world, and it has a translucent appearance.
How to celebrate
Celebrating Red Wine Day is extremely pleasant: enjoy a glass of red wine! Invite family members or friends to a wine party, buy a few varieties, and host a sommelier competition. Who will be able to guess the wine by taste and bouquet?
When is Red Wine Day celebrated in 2022?
Red Wine Day is observed on August 28 each year.