The Newport Wales Marathon is a highly anticipated event in Wales! Taking place on one of the flattest tracks in Europe, it attracts thousands of participants each year. The race starts on the embankment in the very center of the city, with the organizers having carefully planned every detail to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all runners.
The Wales Marathon was founded by the Welsh Government and Newport City Council, and is supported by Associated British Ports and R4W. The first race took place in 2019, with an impressive 10,000 participants, and is set to take place for many more years due to the genuine interest of the population.
The Wales Marathon is only 10km long, rather than the usual 26.2 miles, so is suitable for both professional and novice athletes alike. The route passes through iconic sights such as the city bridge, interesting monuments, picturesque places, and coastal medieval villages, meaning there is plenty of beauty to appreciate during the race.
Not everyone is eligible to take part – runners must be at least 18 years of age. Medical blocks are located along the entire route should any assistance be needed, and the marathon typically starts at 9am.
- The flat marathon course is the most popular in the United Kingdom and is ideal for both trained runners and those who are just starting out.
- 70% of participants set personal records at the finish line!
- Newport is a multicultural city with an extraordinary atmosphere.
- Approximately 1 billion pairs of sports shoes are sold every year.
- While running, the whole body is involved, with tendons, bones, blood vessels, nerve endings, joints and ligaments all being utilised.
How to take part
If you want to join the Newport Wales Marathon, it’s time to get your favourite sneakers out! Take part in the event, show your progress, meet like-minded people and enjoy a worthwhile experience. If you can’t make it to Newport, why not go for a run in your local park instead? It will help to refresh your thoughts and give you energy. You could even invite friends and organise an impromptu marathon in the area.
When is Newport Wales Marathon celebrated in 2023?
Newport Wales Marathon is observed on the fourth Sunday of October each year.