National Unity Day is celebrated on October 3 in Germany and commemorates the unification of the FRG and the GDR into a single Germany. This event happened in 1990 and radically changed world history. The date is celebrated brightly and cheerfully – concerts, political speeches, and entertainment events are organized in the country.
The Second World War brought Germany the division of territories into two separate states – the communist GDR and the capitalist West Germany. The main reason was the lack of consensus regarding the post-war structure of the state. In 1989, a rally was held in Leipzig against the government of the GDR – people demanded to open the borders. This is how the fall of the Berlin Wall happened. In 1990, the heads of state signed an unification treaty.
Did you know that Germany:
- the second largest population in Europe, has 82 million inhabitants;
- borders with 9 countries;
- became one of the first countries to switch to daylight saving time in order to save electricity;
- is distinguished by a large number of medieval castles;
- cannot boast of a high birth rate – in recent years this has become a problem;
- has the oldest brewery in the world, founded in 1040;
- In German, the holiday is called “Tag der Deutschen Einheit”;
- has a huge number of football fan clubs;
- in Las Vegas, a fragment of the Berlin Wall is located in the bathroom of the Main Street Station casino.
How to celebrate
Traveling to Germany is the best option on this date! A lot of interesting things are waiting for you! Get to know the local culture and its representatives, attend the activities of the day, walk around the city and explore the sights. If the trip for some reason cannot take place, stay at home and spend an informative evening – choose documentaries on the topic and delve into history.
When is National Unity Day in 2022?
National Unity Day is observed on October 3 each year.