National Sandwich Day is one of the most beloved American holidays. It is celebrated on November 3 every day. According to one version, the most reliable, the sandwich was named after the Earl of Sandwich, since it is believed that it was he who invented the snack. Of course, to cook your favorite sandwich and eat it, it is absolutely not necessary to wait for November 3rd.
Not surprisingly, the sandwich has received a personal holiday on the calendar, because according to statistics, it is the most popular snack and one of the oldest. A dish of bread and various additions was used many years ago, but the name sandwich did not appear until 1762.
Earl Sandwich was a gambler, so as not to be distracted from the game, he asked the cook to prepare a dish that would allow him to eat without interrupting the process and without using cutlery. Then the cook took the boiled meat and put it between two toasts. Of course, this was not the first person to invent a sandwich. It is believed that they first appeared in England, and did not appear in an American cookbook until 1815.
- According to the US Department of Agriculture, a real sandwich must contain more than 35% meat, no more than 50% bread.
- Elvis Presley was a big fan of sandwiches, he specially flew to Denver to eat his favorite dish.
- In 1927, the famous lion – the symbol of MGM – was in a plane crash, the beast survived only thanks to milk, water and sandwiches.
- Depending on which bread accompaniment is used, a sandwich can be a gourmet meal.
- The well-known McDonald’s restaurant chain serves a seasonal dish – the McLobster sandwich.
How to celebrate
Spend a day making sandwiches, come up with new recipes and food combinations. Surely there are people near you who do not have enough food, prepare a treat for them and feed the needy. If you want to feel like a celebrity chef, come up with some unusual sandwich recipes and cook them live on your channel. If you don’t want to spend time cooking, go to the nearest cafe or restaurant, you will be surprised at what delicious sandwiches they cook there.
When is National Sandwich Day celebrated in 2022?
National Sandwich Day is observed on November 3 each year.