November 11 is National Metal Day – a day dedicated to all those who appreciate this musical style with awe and love! Celebrated around the world, National Metal Day is the perfect opportunity to join together with fellow music lovers and celebrate the hard-hitting, unique and powerful genre that is metal.
National Metal Day was founded in 2011 by the music network VH1 Classic. The 11th day of the 11th month was chosen intentionally, as it references the famous movie “This is Spinal Tap”, in which Nigel Tufnel shows an amplifier with volume controls labeled from 0-11 instead of 0-10.
- Metal has an easily recognizable rhythm, often featuring abrupt changes and “illogical” repetitions.
- The melody of metal is often quite difficult to hear, and takes some practice to become accustomed to.
- Metal music is often perceived by the public as just noise, and requires active listening to appreciate.
- Metal is perhaps the most democratic of all music genres, as the members of the band are usually equal contributors.
- Performances of metal music are usually incredibly passionate and full of energy, as if it was the last time the band would ever play.
How to take part
The best way to celebrate National Metal Day is to attend a metal concert! Invite some friends and family, and get ready to rock out. Or, alternatively, host a party at your own home – think about dress codes, drinks, and food! It’s time to have some fun!
When is National Metal Day celebrated in 2023?
National Metal Day is observed on November 11 each year.