National Filet Mignon Day is one of the most delicious holidays! Filet Mignon is the king of steaks, the sight of which stimulates the appetite with lightning speed. A thin piece of tenderloin is inside the carcass. This part of beef is not subjected to various stresses that the animal experiences during life, so the steaks are especially tender. The fillet is practically devoid of fatty layers, ideal for those who are on a diet.
It is impossible to say exactly when the dish appeared. It is known it was served in the United States even before the 18th century and was revered by rich people. Of course, the name was simple – ‘beef steak’ or ‘medallion’, because the familiar term was invented only in 1906.
Steaks were also common in the middle of the 15th century in Scandinavia and Italy, around Florence.
We have not found the person who invented this day, but whoever they were, we can only thank them!
6 amazing facts:
- From French, ‘mignon’ translates as ‘gentle’, ‘refined’.
- The name came from an American.
- The most expensive steak costs about $260 and is served in one of Tokyo’s restaurants.
- Sometimes the steak is made from pork.
- Some establishments offer creamy cognac sauce for the steak.
- This dish is an expensive pleasure. This is explained by the fact that in the carcass of an animal there are only 500 grams of this cut.
How to take part
The best idea is to visit a local steakhouse and enjoy a dish from a chef. If you are a creative person, why not cook your own steak? Look up recipes online and experiment in the kitchen! Be sure to invite friends and family to a tasting and take a picture of your creation.
When is National Filet Mignon Day celebrated in 2023?
National Filet Mignon Day is observed on August 13 each year.