National Coquito Day is celebrated in America: today is the time to treat yourself to a delicious drink from Puerto Rico. They love to cook it for Christmas! We advise you not to wait for the holiday and rehearse on December 21!
Translated from Spanish, the name translates as “little coconut”. Now you can imagine this taste a little – traditionally it consists of coconut milk, cream, condensed milk, white rum. Saturated and so cozy, it has incomparable taste characteristics. Fans from the first sip have the main association – a holiday. Join them and get in a good mood!
The history of origin is unclear: some claim that the drink was first brought to Spain during the colonial period. Rum was added experimentally – the result pleased people. They traveled around the Caribbean and took it with them – this contributed to some changes in the recipe. Initially, milk was considered the main ingredient, but someone decided to add coconut, and made the right decision.
National Day has been featured since 2018. It was organized by the oldest family company “Destilería Serrallés”, engaged in the production of rum. Despite the fact that the founding happened relatively recently, it has firmly entered the life of Americans.
Did you know that:
- many families have a special recipe that has been passed down through the generations. It is unlikely that you will learn such secrets;
- a ready-made cocktail is sold in supermarkets, special sales are carried out at Christmas;
- some like to cook coquito with liquor;
- in New York in January, the Coquito Masters competition has been held since 2002;
- usually a cocktail is served in small glasses or shot glasses, garnished with cinnamon or nutmeg.
How to celebrate
Throw a National Coquito Day party and gather your friends! Create cocktails and add original notes. Compare the classic look and the newly acquired one, share your opinion with others. Take pictures of masterpieces, post them on social networks and have fun!
When is National Coquito Day celebrated in 2022?
National Coquito Day is observed on December 21 each year.