National Chicken Month is an event that fully reflects the culinary preferences of Americans. If you look around, chicken is everywhere, cooked in many ways – fried, baked, boiled in soup. According to the Smithsonian magazine, chicken is the food that can cross any cultural boundaries. But consider how often we are able to appreciate the taste and benefits of this source of protein.
National Chicken Month has been celebrated for more than two decades. Every year, the National Chicken Council and the largest chicken producers unite to increase sales of this product in the United States. Why September? From the point of view of sales, this is the most successful time – people are gradually changing their diet from the traditional barbecue and grills of the summer to chicken dishes.
- Initially, the chicken was tamed for cockfighting, but its taste turned out to be so delicate and its composition so useful, it ended up on the dinner table.
- Each family has its own recipes with herbs and spices, which the hostess uses to prepare fragrant chicken dishes.
- Chickens are the most numerous bird species in the world – there are 25 billion.
- Chickens are descendants of dinosaurs; the birds are quite tightly connected by an evolutionary chain with the reptiles.
- An adult American eats an average of 83 pounds of chicken per year.
How to take part
The easiest way is to organize a chicken dinner and invite your friends over. Your task is to make sure there is chicken in every dish. There should be no problems with appetizers and the main course, but dessert with chicken is a more difficult task. If you don’t feel like cooking, you can visit the restaurant and enjoy delicious dishes prepared by a chef. Fill your cookbook with new chicken recipes. It is always nice to try something new.
When is National Chicken Month celebrated in 2023?
National Chicken Month is observed on September 1 each year.