National Catfish Day is a great holiday for fishermen and catfish lovers alike! This weird holiday was created in 1987 when declared that June 25th will be National Catfish Day to recognize and bring awareness to the catfish farming industry. Catfish are a unique and scrumptious type of fish that are a popular meal on dinner plates around the country. Many catfish are raised on farms which are environmentally friendly, which offer another opportunity for you to do your part for the environment if you missed National Dump the Pump Day!
Celebrate this weird holiday by cooking some catfish on the grill! Make some, but be sure to share them! They’re delicious! Go to a Cajun restaurant, and order some authentic fried catfish. Watch on MTV, and learn about the other type of catfishing! Go fishing for some catfish, and see how many you can catch! Go watch or participate in a fishing competition. Dress your cat up like a fish! Dress your fish up like a cat (probably not a good idea). Visit a local catfish farm, and ask to tour the facility. Wish a friend a «Happy National Catfish Day!». However you decide to spend National Catfish Day, eat lots of catfish, and spread awareness about catfish farms!
National Catfish Day Fun Facts
- Catfish have over 27,000 taste buds!
- Electric catfish are capable of generating up to 350 volts of electricity!
- The record for the largest catfish in the United States was a blue catfish that weighed 150 pounds in 1879.
- Glass catfish are virtually transparent and are often times purchased for home aquariums.
- Catfish can lay up to 4,000 eggs a year per pound of body weight.
National Catfish Day Jokes
- What’s the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
- One is a bottom-dwelling, scum-sucking scavenger, and the other is a fish!
- What is the difference between your girlfriend and a catfish?
- One’s got fat lips and whiskers, the other one is a fish!
- Why did the dog jump into the sea?
- He wanted to chase the catfish!
- You might be a redneck if…
- …you keep catfish in your aquarium!
- Have you ever seen a catfish?
- How did he hold his pole?
National Catfish Day Quotes
- «My husband calls me ‘catfish.’ He says I’m all mouth and no brains». Dolly Parton
- «I am an unpopular electric eel in a pool of catfish». Edith Sitwell
- «We have sat on the river bank and caught catfish with pin hooks. The time has come to harpoon a whale». John Hope
- «Normally, anything that hits the line. It doesn’t matter, whatever comes in. Most of the time, I love catfish. Most of them catch bass. I fish at the bottom of the lake so I catch a lot of catfish – them heavy boys, I try to get them in there». A.J. Davis
- «Bottom feeders like channel catfish are more likely to be exposed». Dan Williams
National Catfish Day Destinations
- Drive to a catfish farm, and learn about how catfish are raised!
- Go to a lake or river, and go fishing for catfish!
- Go to a restaurant that serves catfish in honor of National Catfish Day!
- Stay home, and fry up your own catfish!
This holiday has also been called: Catfish Day, International Catfish Day, National Catfishing Day, Catfishing Day and International Catfishing Day.
June 25th is also Leon Day and National Strawberry Parfait Day!
National Catfish Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers’ Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
When is National Catfish Day in 2024?
National Catfish Day is observed on June 25 each year.