National Apple Day is dedicated to a delicious fruit that is a favorite of many people! There are a huge number of varieties of apples: sometimes it is simply impossible to choose a certain type, because they all differ in their zest. October 21 is exactly the day on which you can enjoy apples in any form!
Recent studies have shown that apples appeared about 10-20 million years ago. These were wild fruits, they were distinguished by an unusually sour taste. Over time, people figured out how to make the fruits sweeter: this attracted wild animals to them and spread the fruit throughout the continent. In the 17th century, apples were already growing all over Europe. Many scientists are inclined to believe that it was the Romans who were the first to cultivate apple trees.
The National Day was founded in the UK: the Common Ground charity raised awareness among all segments of the population, and then created a separate day for this. Today there are about 10 different varieties – you just won’t be able to try it in one day, but there is a whole year ahead for this!
- apples always float in water, because they are 25% air, and it has a lower density relative to water;
- apple pips contain a tiny fraction of potassium cyanide, a deadly poison. True, in order to really feel bad, you need to eat half a glass of seeds at once;
- if the apple quickly darkens when cut, then there are no chemicals in it;
- 50% of fruits are produced by China;
- most vitamins are in the peel, although some like to cut it off;
- in 2010, new scientific data were discovered that make it possible to grow apples much faster;
- apples are good for health and are used in medicine.
How to celebrate
Today it is worth experimenting with apple recipes! Make a pie, a caramelized apple, bake fruits in the oven, make jam… There are many interesting dishes – choose the right one! Compete with your friends for the most delicious dessert, treat your loved ones, post photos of your masterpieces on social networks.
When is National Apple Day celebrated in 2022?
National Apple Day is observed on October 21 each year.