National Make a Difference Day is celebrated on the fourth Saturday in October. The day is perfect for doing something important today and changing the world for the better. If each person takes such actions, then everything around will change. Join and you!
For the first time, National Day was proposed to be celebrated by the USA Weekend newspaper in 1992. The purpose of the events is volunteer assistance throughout the country. Many people are sure that nothing will change from one good deed, but they are wrong – every individual contribution is important! The sponsor of the event is the non-profit organization “Points of Light”, once founded by former US President George W. Bush.
Today, people come together and do things they can, from cleaning backyards to volunteering for anyone in need. Important humanitarian aid marches across America! Since the founding of the holiday, 30 other countries and people around the world have become involved in it.
Did you know that:
- in 1985, USA Weekend experienced a surge in readership with about 13 million printed editions. In 2014, the newspaper was closed, but a new one took its place – “USA Today”;
- if you register participation through the official website, you can receive a grant of $ 10 for your project;
- some research proves that volunteers lead happier lives;
- historically, the female sex takes more part in the movements than the male;
- 40% of people volunteered after being told about the movement;
- Volunteering is the cure for loneliness! Working in a team, many make good friends.
How to celebrate
Take part in events: this can be any relevant help at the moment. Organize a fundraiser or donate money to your favorite organization for its needs. A month before National Make a Difference Day, post on your social network and encourage everyone to support the holiday!
When is Make a Difference Day celebrated in 2022?
Make a Difference Day is observed on the fourth Saturday of October each year.