Lemon Juice Day is celebrated in the USA on August 29th. Lemon juice certainly deserves its own holiday as a versatile product widely used for culinary purposes. It is included in many recipes for drinks and dishes. For example, it can be used to make lemonade, lemon bread, lemon curd paste, muffins, cakes, and liquor. It is washed down with warm water or added to tea. It marinates meat and fish.
It can be used as a preservative in home canning, as well as for short-term canning of bananas, avocados, and apples to keep them from turning brown. It is also actively used for cleaning and deodorization, when washing, for a variety of beauty procedures.
Lemons arrived in the New World in 1493 on the ships of Christopher Columbus. Their peculiar taste was not immediately appreciated, but gradually lemons and juice from them gained more and more popularity. Lemon Juice Day has been celebrated for quite some time now. But it is impossible to say who created the tradition and determined the date of this holiday.
Lemon juice contains 5-6% citric acid and benefits our health:
- Differs in antibacterial properties.
- It contains a high content of vitamin C, which is necessary for our body. Interesting information regarding the famous TV series “Game of Thrones”. In the original, J.R.R. Martina, one of the heroes, Stannis Baratheon, did not drink alcohol, but drank “lemon water”. This is a very accurate detail: Stannis was a sailor, and they had a habit in the Middle Ages of eating citrus fruits to protect themselves from scurvy on sea voyages.
- Contributes to the normalization of the functions of the gastrointestinal tract, helps digestion and excretion of harmful substances from the body.
- With the help of warm water with the addition of lemon juice, fever can be reduced.
- Juice with the addition of honey perfectly cures a sore throat without the use of medicines.
- The aroma of lemon juice and the fruit itself helps to relax, but at the same time promotes concentration.
How to celebrate
The best way to celebrate Lemon Juice Day is by making something delicious with lemon juice!
When is Lemon Juice Day celebrated in 2022?
Lemon Juice Day is observed on August 29 each year.