Lemon Juice Day is celebrated in the USA on August 29th. Lemon juice certainly deserves its own holiday as a versatile product widely used for culinary purposes. It is included in many recipes for drinks and dishes, such as lemonade, lemon bread, lemon curd paste, muffins, cakes, and liquor. It can also be used to marinate meat and fish, and can be washed down with warm water, added to tea, or used as a preservative in home canning and short-term canning of bananas, avocados, and apples to keep them from turning brown. Additionally, it is actively used for cleaning and deodorization when washing, and for a variety of beauty procedures.
Lemons arrived in the New World in 1493 on the ships of Christopher Columbus. Their peculiar taste was not initially appreciated, but gradually lemons and juice from them gained more and more popularity. Lemon Juice Day has been celebrated for quite some time now, though it is unclear who created the tradition and determined the date of this holiday.
Lemon juice contains 5-6% citric acid and offers numerous health benefits:
- It has antibacterial properties.
- It contains a high content of vitamin C, which is essential for our body. Fun fact related to the famous TV series “Game of Thrones”: in the original books by J.R.R. Martin, one of the heroes, Stannis Baratheon, does not drink alcohol, but instead drinks “lemon water”. This is a very accurate detail, as sailors in the Middle Ages had a habit of eating citrus fruits to protect themselves from scurvy on sea voyages.
- It helps to normalize the functions of the gastrointestinal tract, aids digestion, and helps to excrete harmful substances from the body.
- Warm water with the addition of lemon juice can reduce fever.
- Juice with the addition of honey is an effective remedy for a sore throat, without the need for medication.
- The aroma of lemon juice and the fruit itself helps to relax, while also promoting concentration.
How to take part
The best way to celebrate Lemon Juice Day is by making something delicious with lemon juice!
When is Lemon Juice Day celebrated in 2023?
Lemon Juice Day is observed on August 29 each year.