International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is celebrated around the world every year on November 25th. This is the most important holiday, which has a huge number of followers all over the planet. According to studies, one in three women has experienced violence. Can you imagine such a number? Join and find out a little more about the date!
The holiday was founded by the UN in 1999. According to their reports, almost 20% of the fair sex from 15 to 49 years old were subjected to sexual or other violence by a man. Unfortunately, the world knows many horror stories that shock people. Our task is to unite to stop violence in every corner of the earth!
There is a lot of work ahead, but it begins with the faith of those who have walked this path. The stories of girls who were able to start a new life prove that a better time is ahead. You just need to want to change everything and ask for help. There are many organizations that are ready to immediately respond to a request for help. Also, the eradication is affected by amendments to laws, expansion of rights.
The terrible event of 1960 gave rise to the idea of the date. The Mirabell sisters were activists in the revolutionary movement in the Dominican Republic. They are brutally murdered for their views on the orders of Rafael Trujillo. The details of this story still give me goosebumps.
It is noteworthy that:
- more violence occurs during times of crisis, for example, the number of cases has skyrocketed during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- 1 in 10 girls have experienced coercion in sex;
- about 40% of murders of women are committed by their partners;
- almost 99,3% of girls were subjected to sexual violence in Egypt – UN data;
- about 1,2 million children in the world are victims of trafficking, 80% of this number are girls;
- 14 million girls are married before the age of 18.
How to celebrate
Learn how to support the event and join the community. Chat with like-minded people, ask questions of interest. Make donations to special funds dedicated to supporting victims. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, urgently ask for help!
When is International Day For the Elimination of Violence against Women celebrated in 2022?
International Day For the Elimination of Violence against Women is observed on November 25 each year.