International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is celebrated around the world every year on November 25th. This is an incredibly important holiday, with many followers across the globe. According to studies, one in three women has experienced violence – an alarming statistic. Let’s find out a little more about this significant day!
The holiday was founded by the United Nations in 1999. According to their reports, almost 20% of women aged 15-49 have experienced sexual or other violence at the hands of a man. Tragically, the world knows too many stories of violence against women. Now is the time to join forces in order to stop violence in every corner of the planet! There is still much work to be done, but it starts with the faith of those who have walked this path. The stories of women who have been able to start a new life are proof that a brighter future is ahead. We must have the courage to change and ask for help. There are many organizations that are ready to respond to any request for assistance. Furthermore, the eradication of violence is aided by the implementation of laws and expansion of rights.
The idea for the holiday originated from a terrible event in 1960. The Mirabell sisters were activists in the revolutionary movement in the Dominican Republic, who were brutally murdered on the orders of Rafael Trujillo, for their beliefs. The details of this story are still shocking.
- During times of crisis, violence against women increases – for example, the number of cases has skyrocketed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 1 in 10 girls have experienced coercion in sex.
- Approximately 40% of murders of women are committed by their partners.
- According to UN data, almost 99.3% of girls were subjected to sexual violence in Egypt.
- Approximately 1.2 million children in the world are victims of trafficking, 80% of whom are girls.
- 14 million girls are married before the age of 18.
How to take part
You can show your support by joining the community, chatting with like-minded people and asking questions of interest. You can also consider making donations to special funds dedicated to supporting victims. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, seek help immediately!
When is International Day For the Elimination of Violence against Women celebrated in 2023?
International Day For the Elimination of Violence against Women is observed on November 25 each year.