Although chickens do not use them to fly, International Chicken Wing Day still has a lot of fans. On July 1, you can and should enjoy delicious chicken wings, which now have a wide variety of flavors. The list is endless: Buffalo wings with various sauces, garlic, chicken quesadillas, sweet barbecue, buffalo chicken nachos, Korean chicken “shrimp”, and many others.
According to historical records, chickens were raised in Southeast Asia and China as early as 10,000 years ago, but not for food. Previously, cockfights were especially popular. But in an ancient city in Israel, chickens were raised specifically for food around 200-400s BC. It is known that chicken meat was eaten in large quantities in Europe in the first century BC. One of the oldest chicken wing recipes was found in China, dating back to 750 and is known as Imperial Consort Chicken Wing.
In Indonesia, this part of the chicken is marinated in tamarind and spices, and then stewed in coconut water. Mexicans serve fiery-spicy wings alongside canned chipotle chili in adobo. The Japanese marinate them in sake and sansho peppers and serve them with freshly squeezed lemon juice. In America, spicy Buffalo wings were first made in 1964, named after the city in New York.
- The first International Chicken Wing Day was celebrated in 1977 and was established by Buffalo Mayor Stan Makovsky;
- In 1982, the first Buffalo Wild Wings opened in Columbus, Ohio;
- In 2018, a record was set for eating buffalo wings – Molly Schuler ate 501 pieces in 30 minutes.
How to take part
You can celebrate International Chicken Wing Day in one of several ways:
- Go to a restaurant or bar with friends or family where you can order a portion of wings;
- Try to make it at home on your own;
- Try the wings with one of the many sauces you have not tried before.
When is International Chicken Wing Day Celebrated in 2023?
International Chicken Wing Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 1st each year.