Hug A Bear Day is an annual holiday celebrated on November 7th with the purpose of drawing attention to the importance of warm and sincere hugs. It is believed that the word “hug” has Scandinavian roots and comes from the word “hugga”, which means to calm. Another version suggests that the term was derived from the German word “hegen” which means “to cherish.”
The history of this holiday is unclear, but it is known that the first soft toys appeared in ancient Egypt, as evidenced by drawings on monuments. Historians suggest that the first teddy bears did not appear until 1830, when they were handcrafted from straw. In Europe, the first teddy bear was created by Richard Steiff from plush fabric in the early 20th century. The bear was named Teddy in honor of Theodore Roosevelt.
- The first soft toys were invented and made in ancient Egypt.
- Soft toys in the form we know them today were not available until 1830.
- The first teddy bear was invented by Richard Steiff in 1903.
- Hugs promote the synthesis of the hormone oxytocin, which allows us to feel other people.
- Hugs reduce the feeling of loneliness and calm the nervous system.
How to take part
If you want to take part in this holiday, you can do so by giving joy and happiness to others by hugging them. You can also hug your favorite soft toy, or purchase a new one if you don’t have one. No matter how many people you hug on this day, the important thing is that you become a source of joy and happiness.
When is Hug a Bear Day celebrated in 2023?
Hug a Bear Day is observed on November 7 each year.