- This event has passed.
International Chicken Wing Day
Although chickens do not fly with their help, International Chicken Wing Day still has a lot of fans. On July 1, you can and should enjoy delicious chicken wings, which now have a huge number of types and cooking methods. The list is endless: Buffalo wings with various sauces, garlic, chicken quesadillas, sweet barbecue, buffalo chicken nachos, Korean chicken “shrimp” and many others.
According to historical records, chickens were raised in Southeast Asia and China as early as 10,000 years ago, but not for food. Previously, cockfights were especially popular. But in the ancient city in Israel, chickens were raised specifically for food, and this was in the 200-400s BC. It is known that chicken meat was eaten in large quantities in Europe already in the first century BC. One of the oldest chicken wing recipes was found in China, it dates back to 750 and is known as Imperial Consort Chicken Wing.
In Indonesia, this part of the chicken is marinated in tamarind and spices, and then stewed in coconut water. In Mexico, fiery-spicy wings are served alongside canned chipotle chili in adobo. In Japan, they are marinated in sake and sansho peppers and served with freshly squeezed lemon juice. In America, spicy Buffalo wings began to be cooked in 1964, and Buffalo wings are named after the city in New York.
During the celebration of International Chicken Wing Day, the following facts can be remembered:
- the first International Chicken Wing Day was celebrated in 1977, and was established by Buffalo Mayor Stan Makovsky;
- in 1982, the first Buffalo Wild Wings opened in Ohio in Columbus;
- in 2018, a record was set for eating buffalo wings – Molly Schuler was able to eat 501 pieces in 30 minutes.
How to celebrate
You can celebrate International Chicken Wing Day in one of several ways:
- go to a restaurant or bar with friends or family where you can order a dish, a plate or a bucket of wings;
- try to cook the International Chicken Wing Day symbol at home on your own;
- taste the wings with one of the many sauces that you have not tried before.
When is International Chicken Wing Day Celebrated in 2022?
International Chicken Wing Day is associated with the anticipation of happiness and joy. It is observed on July the 1st each year.