Fountain Pen Day is celebrated every year on the first Friday of the last autumn month. In 2022, it falls on November 5th. It was first celebrated in 2012 with the aim of promoting the use of fountain pens and reviving the art of elegant handwriting. Many manufacturers, companies, and shops join in this holiday.
The first pens were used in ancient Egypt in 3000 BC. They were called styluses, and were made of reed straw, with ink prepared from a mixture of plant straw and soot. These pens were submersible – they were dipped in ink and then used for writing. The first tank-style pens appeared in 953, and metal models came into use in the 17th century. During the Renaissance, Leonardo da Vinci even designed his own fountain pen.
- In 2012, Fountain Pen Day was founded with the aim of restoring the popularity of the fountain pen and reviving the art of elegant handwriting.
- During the Renaissance, Da Vinci invented the fountain pen and even designed it.
- Fountain pens can be used to relieve stress.
- In the first half of the 20th century, ink cartridges were made of glass or copper.
- It is believed that fountain pens can adapt to a person’s handwriting and writing style.
How to take part
Today, fountain pens are items of status and luxury, so it’s time to go to the store and pick up one for yourself or as a gift. Try writing something with a fountain pen, and feel how different the words feel when written in ink, rather than with a regular ballpoint pen. Share your experience on social media, and encourage others to revive the art of ink writing. You can also visit a nursing home and write letters with a fountain pen to the loved ones of those who are there.
When is Fountain Pen Day celebrated in 2023?
Fountain Pen Day is observed on the first Friday of November each year.