National Crossword Puzzle Day celebrates a unique invention that allows you to pass the time on long evenings or on trips! At the same time, it develops, makes the brain work, trains the memory … Get out your pens and start the day with benefit!
On December 21, 1913, the crossword appeared in the popular New York World magazine. It was created by Arthur Wynn, a migrant from England. The puzzle had 32 words. The idea came to him not by chance – the man was inspired by the ancient Roman game of “magic squares”. The date of birth of the crossword is even included in the Guinness Book of Records! Despite National Day in the US, South Africa and England still dispute the data.
By the way, this is an official date, but researchers also found ancient prototypes of the game… For example, in 1868, archaeologists discovered a plate with an image resembling a crossword puzzle. The find dates back to about 3-5 centuries. Also, traces were found in the famous Pompeii (Italy) – there a similar creation was applied to the columns. Scientists agreed that the drawing was created in the 79th century AD.
It’s amazing that:
- the largest crossword puzzle was published by Robert Truko – it consisted of 25 words! It is difficult to imagine how long it took to completely unravel it;
- There are 24 types of games. The most famous came to us from Japan;
- thanks to crossword puzzles, an exciting game of Scrabble appeared;
- the British came up with a hobby pen with a built-in dictionary;
- there are many unique applications on the phone;
- scientists believe that the hobby allows you to lose weight – such mental exercises burn 90 calories per hour.
How to celebrate
The best solution in National Crossword Puzzle Day is to solve as many words as possible! Start in the morning before work and continue in the evening. Organize a party to celebrate the date and invite the fans of the game! Tell about the holiday on social networks.
When is Crossword Puzzle Day celebrated in 2022?
Crossword Puzzle Day is observed on December 21 each year.