Cow Appreciation Day is celebrated on the second Tuesday of July in America. This slightly strange holiday was invented in the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain. In a great marketing ploy, customers invited to show respect for cows and eat some chicken sandwiches as proof of this. And as a bonus, one sandwich on Cow Appreciation Day is free.
Cow Appreciation Day was first celebrated in 2004. Initially, it was a humorous action that began in 1995. The idea behind the event was to tell cafe visitors that cows dream about people eat less beef and more chicken. The organizers had to tell people about how important cows are to humans: they give milk from which cheeses, yogurt, and delicious ice cream are made. According to statistics, people consume dairy products much more often than beef. Humanity often loses sight of how important it is to appreciate animals.
- Dairy farming began in the 1900s with the introduction of a processing technique called pasteurization.
- About 65% of people in the world are lactose intolerant, and in certain ethnic groups and nationalities, this figure reaches 90%.
- Unfortunately, on some large farms, the treatment of cows is unacceptable. Small, private farms treat animals in a completely different way; here, cows are valued and cared for.
- Cows are sociable animals; they are very emotional and create families and make friends. Especially the close bond between mother and calf.
- Cows give more milk if they are content and happy. Such milk is more nutritious and tastier.
How to take part
Relax in a village and go to the nearest farm, and hug a cow. Read more about these amazing animals and find out what they love. Prepare a delicious milk dessert. Of course, visit the Chick-fil-A cafe, where you will be offered a free chicken sandwich on July 12th.
When is Cow Appreciation Day celebrated in 2023?
Cow Appreciation Day is observed on the second Tuesday of July each year.