Christmas Day is one of the favorite holidays celebrated by 2 billion people around the world! Each nationality has its own traditions: for example, Europe celebrates the date first (December 25), then countries that observe Orthodoxy (January 7). It depends on the calendar the church uses.
In the USA, the holiday is very colorful: a million lights are lit all over the country! Private houses and corporations decorate buildings, neighbors agree among themselves to decorate the street in the same style. Garlands, illuminations, figurines of Santa Claus and his deer are visible literally everywhere! For Americans, this is an important family holiday: people rush to come to their home to celebrate Christmas Day with their loved ones.
In France, instead of the traditional spruce, apartments are often decorated with fresh flowers, figurines with baby Jesus. Here it is customary to celebrate not in a homely atmosphere, but in restaurants. In the 12th century, the French founded an interesting tradition: they burned a cherry tree in an oven, poured with wine and oil.
In Italy, you can rarely see the image of Santa, mostly the population uses the figures of Jesus Christ. Showcases of city shops are full of a huge selection of products for every taste! Another important symbol of Christmas night is the witch on the broomstick.
- the date of the celebration of Christmas was determined by Bishop Julius the First in 320;
- the image of Santa Claus came from a real person – St. Nicholas, who helped poor people and children;
- the first Christmas carol was written in the 4th century;
- glass toys were blown in Scandinavia;
- in Mexico in 2009, a forty-story Christmas tree was installed;
- in Somalia, Christmas Day is illegal. Each violator will face harsh punishments.
How to celebrate
Give gifts to others, organize family evenings, cook delicious meals! Keep traditions, sing songs, get together and carol in the streets. Wherever you are, follow the traditions. Merry Christmas!
When is Christmas Day celebrated in 2022?
Christmas Day is observed on December 25 each year.