Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a reminder that there is a terrible disease in the world that needs to be fought. Cancer statistics are disappointing: every 2 minutes, one woman is diagnosed with breast cancer. The good news is that in the early stages, the disease can be overcome.
New York-based Pink Ribbon Inc charitable organization collects donations every year to send them to women with cancer, support scientific research, and inform society. Initially, the symbol of Breast Cancer Awareness Month was a pink ribbon, now in shopping centers in October you can see a lot of soft-colored products – the trend does not let people forget about the disease. Sponsors also use this shade to attract the attention of women.
Removal of the mammary gland was carried out even in the past, however, the operation did not differ in aesthetic indicators. In 1932, a new improved mastectomy procedure was created – it was a real breakthrough both in efficiency! In addition, the breasts of the patients after the operation looked quite acceptable.
Did you know that:
- 1 million cases of breast cancer are diagnosed every day on the planet;
- every quarter of an hour, 1 woman dies of the disease, 400 men per year;
- the youngest registered patient is a three-year-old girl, she survived the operation and is still alive;
- 3 million women living at the moment have overcome the disease;
- in most cases, it develops due to mutations that have occurred in cells over a lifetime;
- the disease may not have any symptoms at the beginning;
- For the first time, breast cancer was described in ancient Egypt 3,5 thousand years ago.
How to celebrate
Cancer Awareness Celebration is designed to encourage you to book an appointment with your doctor and have a check-up right now. At the request of a specialist, a sonogram, mammography can be done. Share the story of a sick person with others – society must understand that the fight against cancer must be supported by knowledge of the disease and careful monitoring of health.
When is Breast Cancer Awareness Month in 2022?
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is observed on October 1 each year.