Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night is celebrated on October 26 every year. This day not only coincides with the beloved Halloween, but also reflects the concern for wolves. As part of the ecosystem, they are often subject to animal cruelty, which is largely unknown to many. We urge everyone to not only have fun, but also to think about the problems.
Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night was created in 2009 by animator Johnny DePalma. He had a strong affinity for animals, and his idea was simply to howl at the moon in order to show his indifference. Many organizations devoted to the conservation and protection of wolves are actively working today. They are trying to provide wolves born in captivity or injured by hunters with a comfortable habitat.
Researchers have proven that wolves were present 1.5 million years ago, and evolved from miacids, which existed 50 million years earlier. Wolves are incredibly intelligent animals: they work together in groups to reach their goals, they recognize and adapt to their surrounding areas, and have courage and nobility. In North America, there are wolves with an unusual, deep black coloring. This is thought to be a result of a mutation caused by the crossing of a dog and a wolf.
- Wolves are capable of distinguishing up to 200 million odors and have a sense of smell 100 times sharper than humans.
- They communicate with each other through howling, not barking like dogs.
- Wolves are not amenable to training, but have developed facial expressions.
- Breeding only happens in winter.
- They are devoted to one companion throughout their life.
- They are not afraid of people.
- Studies at the University of Vienna have proven that wolves are smarter than dogs.
How to take part
To participate in Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night, you can go outside and howl at the moon with like-minded people! You can also learn more about these majestic animals and find ways to help them. Donations to a wolf conservation organization of any amount are always welcome. Finally, you can spread awareness about the importance of wolves to people.
When is Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night celebrated in 2023?
Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night is observed on October 26 each year.