World Vegetarian Day is dedicated to all who do not eat meat! Many people around the world care about the life of animals and dream that society will follow their example. There are about 1,5 billion vegetarians on the planet: if their ideas are close to you, join the movement. October 1st is the perfect day!
The holiday was founded by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS) in 1971. Since then, the number of vegetarians has grown exponentially! Such diets are considered healthier than those that contain animal products on the menu. Studies show that the rejection of meat has a beneficial effect on health: it prevents the formation of cancer cells, improves metabolism, and eliminates cardiovascular diseases.
It is noteworthy that vegetarianism adds 13 years of healthy life. There is a lot of evidence for this. For example, the largest concentration of centenarians on the islands of Okinawa. All locals are vegetarians. A meager number of them consume fish and, in some cases, pork. This is not 100% proof, but a hint that the minimum of animal food has a positive effect on health.
I’m sure you didn’t know that:
- Pythagoras – was one of the most famous vegetarians;
- Leonardo da Vinci advocated the rejection of animal food, reinforcing this with the fact that man is not God, he simply does not have the right to kill;
- science has proven that vegetarians get almost the same amount of protein as people who do not adhere to restrictions;
- in India, more than 80% of people do not eat meat;
- similar diets reduce the risk of cataracts by 40%;
- most people find this diet tasteless. This is absolutely not the case – there are a huge number of dishes that you will definitely like.
How to celebrate
On World Vegetarian Day, it is not necessary to join the followers of such nutrition. You may need time to decide – study scientific papers, chat with vegetarians. Conduct your own experiment: give up meat for a month and feel the difference. For clarity, write down every day about your feelings.
When is World Vegetarian Day in 2022?
World Vegetarian Day is observed on October 1 each year.