World Soil Day is celebrated on December 5 all over the world. This is a unique date that you need to know! How often do we think about soil? But it is the most important component of our life, giving food. Improper care is one of the most important problems of modern society: the quality of the soil has deteriorated greatly in recent years.
The holiday has been celebrated since 2002, it was founded by the organization of soil sciences. The goal is simple – to inform humanity about the importance of conserving the earth for future well-being. In 2015, the date was celebrated throughout the year to rally activists from different parts of the world to act according to a given plan. At the moment, there are 60 thousand people who are passionate about the global mission.
Unfortunately, it is still not possible to attract the townsfolk… Many do not even imagine what soil pollution threatens the next generations. People eat food and do not think about the fact that they may not be. Therefore, there is still a lot of work ahead. We hope that after reading the article, you will join the team and highlight the goals of the holiday in your environment.
Did you know that:
- 1 hectare of healthy soil contains about 400 kg of earthworms and 200 kg of other microorganisms;
- soil is needed not only for agriculture: insects develop in it;
- layers are formed for a long time: in 100 years – only 2 cm;
- the soil is a huge pharmacy that gives us almost all the antibiotics that help fight diseases;
- biodiversity is an important factor in its development;
- soil microorganisms work around the clock and daily to maintain its condition;
- at the moment, a little more than 1% of the insects that inhabit the most unexplored layers of the planet have been studied.
How to celebrate
Tell others about World Soil Day – do your own research and find out how many people knew about this day. Explore today’s events, find organizations related to the holiday, and offer your help. Read the literature that lists all the threats to the earth.
When is World Soil Day celebrated in 2022?
World Soil Day is observed on December 5 each year.