World Radiography Day is celebrated every year on November 8, the day X-rays were discovered. Today it is difficult to imagine diagnostic medicine without this method of research, because with its help doctors detect many diseases and pathologies at an early stage. It is noteworthy that the diagnosis is fast, painless, efficient and accurate.
X-rays are an accidental discovery for which we have Professor Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen to thank. In 1895, he was working in his laboratory at the University of Würzburg and noticed a special glow of crystals that were next to the device. When the air in it was evacuated and a high voltage was connected, a fluorescent glow appeared. The professor accidentally covered the tube with dark paper and noticed that objects a few feet away were emitting an unusual green light. It was this glow that became the discovery of a new type of rays, they are able to pass through various obstacles and cast shadows on solid objects.
- The scientist Roentgen determined that the rays freely pass through human tissues, but are not able to overcome bones and metal. This became clear after examining the hand of the professor’s wife – the bones and the ring on the finger were clearly displayed in the picture.
- The medical world received the discovery with great optimism and enthusiasm, many abandoned their research and continued research on new x-rays.
- The radiograph began to be used a month after the discovery, and during the war, studies of wounded soldiers were carried out right on the battlefield.
- An x-ray is the best way to diagnose tuberculosis early, because the doctor can clearly see blackouts and spots in the picture.
- Professor Roentgen did not patent his invention because he wanted it to be used by physicians all over the world.
How to celebrate
Get tested, because this is the best way to prevent many diseases. Don’t wait for your body to signal a problem with pain. Learn more about the work of a radiographer and radiologist, what protective equipment they use, what equipment. Did you know that initially there was no protection, because they did not know about the negative effects of radiation.
When is World Radiography Day celebrated in 2022?
World Radiography Day is observed on November 8 each year.