World Physical Therapy Day was founded with one goal – to demonstrate to people the benefits of physical therapy, show how important physiotherapists are, and describe how exercise will help in the fight against chronic pain. The work of these specialists is invaluable – they treat injuries, deformities of various levels of complexity, teach patients to lead a healthy life, and restore lost functions. Physiotherapists usually treat pain in the cervical, thoracic, lumbar, headaches, muscular dystrophy.
World Physical Therapy Day was founded on the initiative of the World Confederation of Physiotherapists. September 8 was not chosen by chance – it was on this day in 1926 that this organization appeared, and 20 years later a holiday appeared on the calendar, which symbolizes the unity of the community of physiotherapists. Physiotherapy is an ancient trend in medicine. Hippocrates wrote about this, and it was he who came up with a special technique for hand manipulation to deal with pain.
- During the Second World War, special clinics were opened where patients came for physiotherapy courses. Soldiers were treated here after being wounded.
- A course of physiotherapy significantly reduces rehabilitation time and accelerates full recovery.
- Today, this technique is used to treat complex, dangerous diseases – Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, asthma, and arthritis.
- In addition to their hands, specialists use hardware techniques based on ultrasound and electricity.
- With well-chosen therapy, the patient can avoid surgery.
How to take part
Take part in any events organized by physiotherapists in your city. It can be walking, lectures, or master classes with exercises. Some doctors conduct free examinations and consult patients. Thank your doctor friend for their help and noble work. Share information on social networks, and encourage people to express gratitude to doctors.
When is World Physical Therapy Day in 2022?
World Physical Therapy Day is observed on September 8 each year.