June 12 is a special date on the calendar of international events. On this day, we celebrate the World Day Against Child Labor. Unfortunately, in the modern world, such the shameful phenomenon of child labor has not yet been eradicated. World Day Against Child Labor is not just a holiday, it is a special mission – to draw the attention of the community to this phenomenon and prevent its spread.
The history of the holiday began in 1997, when representatives of various international human rights organizations drew attention to this important problem and called on the whole world to fight child labor. After 5 years – in 2002 – the date was officially approved when people from different countries can unite in a single impulse – to eliminate any form of child labor.
Every year for World Day Against Child Labor, a theme is approved that reflects the main directions and aspects of the problem. The organizers of the holiday and everyone who is directly related to it strive for one thing – to protect children from illegal labor by providing them with a decent education, recreation, social protection, and conditions for self-development.
- According to statistics, more than 218 million children are illegally employed around the world. More than half are forced to work in hazardous conditions.
- Since 2000, the number of children involved in labor has decreased by almost 95 million, but the reduction is still not fast enough.
- One of the goals of the UN is to eliminate the concept of child labor by 2025 in all its manifestations and forms.
- One fifth of the children who are illegally involved in labor are on the African continent.
- The exploitation of children is recognized as a form of slavery.
- The symbol of World Day Against Child Labor – Pakistani Iqbal Masih is the boy who spoke in detail about what he experienced in captivity after he was released. He died under unclear circumstances.
How to take part
- Read the story of Iqbal Masih, join the charitable foundation established in his honor.
- Check out the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which guarantees protection from all forms of exploitation. The document consists of 54 articles, all devoted to the rights of minors.
- There are a huge number of films and programs on the Internet dedicated to the fight against child labor. Journalists tell us how to prevent the spread of this terrible phenomenon in the world.
- You can take part in city or regional events that are held as part of the World Day Against Child Labor.
When is World Day Against Child Labor celebrated in 2024?
World Day Against Child Labor is observed on June 12 each year.