Scotch Tape Day is traditionally celebrated on January 31 of each year. Currently, this most useful invention is in every home. It is used quite often, but many people are not even aware of the existence of a holiday dedicated to scotch tape.
Scotch tape was created in the early 1920s by R. Drew. He often visited auto repair shops when, on behalf of the management, he delivered samples of sandpaper. The male workers constantly complained about the inconvenience they had to face. Two-tone cars were painted with surgical adhesive tapes to which newspapers were attached. They had to be removed very carefully so as not to leave any traces.
A brilliant idea came to Richard’s head. He figured out how to permanently save people from problems and immediately set to work. Drew created his creation from corrugated paper, special glue and glycerin.
- In the 1950s, a scotch tape company introduced a new mascot to the world. His name was Scotty McTail. He wore a checkered kilt – a piece of Scottish national dress for men. A few decades later, everyone forgot about Scotty.
- Initially, the term “scotch” was used as an insult. Over time, it became boring and became more popular than “duct tape”.
- The still widely used adhesive tape called “Magic Tape” first appeared on store shelves in 1961. It turned out to be much more convenient than ordinary adhesive tape, because marks can be left on a rough surface. The tape was sold in branded checkered packaging.
How to celebrate
There are many different ways to celebrate the holiday. In ordinary life, adhesive tape is not used every day, but it can be used for a variety of things.
- Making jewelry. There are a huge number of variations of crafts on the Internet, for the creation of which you will not need anything other than adhesive tape. Some even manage to make Christmas decorations.
- Car painting. Today is a great day to update the look of your car. It is enough to seal with adhesive tape those places that you want to leave the same color, and then give free rein to your imagination.
When is Scotch Tape Day celebrated in 2024?
Scotch Tape Day is observed on January 31 each year.