On National Potato Day we come together to taste amazingly delicious potato dishes! It is fried, boiled, baked, deep-fried, or mashed… And how many delicious combinations! Treat your friends!
The first potatoes were cultivated around 8000 BC in Bolivia. The vegetable conquered cities and countries, and quickly spread around the globe.
It is cooked almost everywhere! In America, potatoes are an important part of the culinary environment. Many cannot imagine a diet without this tasty tuber.
If you look into recipes, you can find thousands of ways to cook potatoes. It is even used in baked goods such as bread, pies, and pancakes. And it is also our favorite chips! Especially when a cozy evening awaits ahead with a soft drink and your favorite series.
- They contain a huge number of nutrients: potassium, fiber, vitamin C. It is also up to 15% starch;
- Potatoes have been grown in space, on board the shuttle Columbia;
- In some cultures, they are used for medicinal purposes;
- Today, there are more than 500 varieties;
- They can be not only eaten, but also drunk – vodka and other drinks are made from it;
- Most potatoes are imported from China;
- It is an irreplaceable product.
And in one average tuber 100 calories! But it all depends on the processing method: deep-fried potatoes have many more calories than boiled ones.
How to take part
National Potato Day is perfect for culinary experiments: cook your favorite potato dishes and add fresh ideas to them! Come up with a new interpretation of serving or use unusual spices.
When is National Potato Day celebrated in 2023?
National Potato Day is observed on August 19 each year.