On National Potato Day we come together to taste amazingly delicious potato dishes! It is fried, boiled, baked, deep-fried, mashed … And how many delicious combinations – just do not list. Cook and treat your friends!
The first potato was grown by man around 8000 BC. in Bolivia. The vegetable conquered cities, countries and quickly spread around the globe.
It is cooked almost everywhere! In America, potatoes are an important part of the culinary environment. Many cannot imagine a diet without a fragrant tuber.
If you look into recipes, you can find thousands of ways to cook potatoes. It is even used in baked goods such as bread, pies, pancakes… And it’s also our favorite chips! Especially when a cozy evening awaits ahead with a cup of soft drink and your favorite series.
Did you know that potatoes:
- contains a huge amount of vitamins: potassium, fiber, C … It also contains up to 15% starch;
- raised even in space – on board the shuttle “Columbia”;
- used for medicinal purposes in some cultures;
- today has more than 500 varieties;
- can be not only eaten, but also drunk – vodka and other drinks are prepared from it;
- mostly imported from China;
- irreplaceable product.
And in one average tuber 100 calories! But it all depends on the processing method: deep-fried potatoes have many more calories than boiled ones.
How to celebrate
National Potato Day is perfect for culinary experiments: cook your favorite potato dishes and add fresh ideas to them! Come up with a new interpretation of serving or use unusual spices.
When is National Potato Day celebrated in 2022?
National Potato Day is observed on August 19 each year.