National Pit Bull Awareness Day is celebrated on the last Saturday of October in America. It is dedicated to the smartest of the breeds and to everyone who cannot imagine life without a four-legged friend. Stereotypes tell us that these animals are formidable, harsh and even dangerous. However, many do not even realize that they are kind, devoted and loving! Find out more about them to dispel the myths.
National Day is celebrated annually and includes more than 70 organizations, social media communities, activists and non-profit institutions. Their mission is to tell the truth about dogs, to help make the right choice when acquiring a dog, and to destroy misconceptions. In recent decades, the image of pit bulls is far from the truth.
The breed appeared in the 18th century in England. To obtain it, a bulldog was crossed with a terrier. This was probably done to control the number of rodents that harmed the industry. Unfortunately, there were other intentions – dog fights.
Now pit bull puppies are affectionate and beloved by all animals. Often they act as nannies for children, carefully watching them. When children grow up, dogs become their protectors on the street. They are definitely not the type to run away screaming if attacked.
Amazing things about pit bulls:
- they are real bodyguards – they will easily sacrifice their lives for a two-legged ward;
- they do not tolerate loneliness, they can even get sick if they are without the attention of the owner for a long time;
- able to conduct a serious analysis of the situation. Smart, quick-witted, has a high level of intelligence;
- requires education, as he will not refuse to gnaw on shoes, chairs, the floor … And what kind of dog does not need to be trained?;
- require high activity and load – run, jump, carry sticks, play with a sword …
How to celebrate
Read about the breed on National Day, ask a specialist to tell you some of the nuances. If you decide to take a dog into the family – be responsible for it! Do you already have a pet? Pay more attention to him today! Make donations to organizations that help animals.
When is National Pit Bull Awareness celebrated in 2022?
National Pit Bull Awareness is observed on the last Saturday of October each year.